Friday, September 14, 2007

Sitram Catering 3.35 Chef Pan and 3.35 Saute Pan

















Showed in picture: 3.35 Saute pan at front, 3.35 Saucier in the back

Sitram Catering Line
Made in France
Stainless Steel with Copper disc bottom
NSF
No lid
Handle is welt not riveted
Drip free rim

These two restaurant grade stainless steel saute pan and saucier from Sitram are among my favorites. The stainless steel construction is solid and sturdy. The sizes of these two pans are perfect. There is a 2mm exposed copper disc sandwiched at the bottom. It looks great, but to keep it shiny requires rigid scrub with Cameo or Bar Keeper's Friend.

Another disadvantage of this disc bottom design is that it requires close regulating of heat source since the bottom doesn't go all the way to the edge of the pan, hence creating a
'hot ring' in the sides of the pan when used on gas top. Though I have heard people saying this design works better on an electric cook top better than a gas one, I can detest to that as I only have a gas stove top. To me, it works fine as long as I keep the flame within the diameter of the disc bottom.

Cleaning should not to be a big problem if you don't let the flame lick the sides of the pan. Otherwise, Cameo and Bar Keeper's Friend will get the job done easily.

The handle won't feel comfortable in your hand as they angel too much to the ceiling. As a result, I will have to stand on a kitchen step in order to wield it comfortably. I guess it's designed for those tall French chefs instead of a short home cook. Eventually, stepping on and off the bar stool became a chore, and I decided to bend the handle down with a pipe wrench. Since the handle is essentially one piece of stainless steel, it didn't cost not much hassle to angle the handle perfectly to fit my height. I will still use a kitchen towel though with the handle, it doesn't bother me.

I guess the welt handle won the cookware a NSF stamp, as you won't see any leftover food stuck in the rivets inside of the pan. I will roll my eyes over anyone who claims NSF is a mark of the quality though.

Overall, I like these two pieces for their design, construction and how they feel in the hand. The disc bottom design doesn't perform the best on on a gas burner as I can't use high heat in this
pan, but I can live with that. I will recommend Sitram to whoever likes 'commercial style' cookware.

Cost: ~$15 each

No comments: